It’s January and what does everyone want to do in January? They want to lose weight and avoid getting sick. Well, good news! Apple Cider Vinegar is your new best friend!
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has been around for thousands of years and has many uses and benefits. Way back in 400 BC, the father of medicine, Hippocrates, prescribed apple cider vinegar with honey to treat ailments, including coughs and colds. More recently, celebrities like Heidi Klum, Miranda Kerr and Megan Fox have used it to lose weight.
How Apple Cider Vinegar Works
- Drinking a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before a meal helps to curb your appetite. It also helps stimulate hydrochloric acid, which we need to break down our foods for further absorption and digestion.
- It can help control your blood sugar.
- It contains several antioxidants, which are great for you because they boost your body’s immune system and help you fight off illness.
- Combined with a balanced diet, it can help to regulate your pH levels, which are the ratio of acid to alkaline in the body. We want a mildly alkaline environment to stave off disease, including cancer, autoimmunity and the common cold.
- It is high in is acetic acid, which helps your body absorb minerals.
Please keep in mind that all apple cider vinegar is not created equal. Make sure you are using organic, raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with “the mother” on the label in order to reap the benefits. I’ve personally used apple cider vinegar to help me drop a few pounds and boost my immunity. These are my favorite ACV recipes!
Weight Loss Water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- The juice from ½ of a lemon
- A drop or 2 of raw honey (optional)
- A dash of red pepper (I use Chipotle pepper)
- Ice to taste
- Mix all ingredients well and enjoy!
- 1 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup green tea
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- A drop or 2 of raw honey
- 1 small slice of ginger
- A dash of Ceylon cinnamon
- Steep the tea in water for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove tea and stir in the remaining ingredients. *The longer the ginger steeps the stronger it will be.
- Remove ginger slice before drinking.
Kick it up Salad Dressing
- ½ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste (you can also use black seeds for the pepper)
- Whisk together Stevia, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and red pepper.
- Slowly pour in olive oil while whisking to emulsify.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into jar with lid and refrigerate. Makes about ½ cup.
Lose It Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 drops liquid Stevia
- ½ tablespoon Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon finely ground flax seeds
- A dash of salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (you can also use black seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- ½ small clove of garlic, finely grated on a microplane
- Whisk together all ingredients until mixed.
- Pour into jar with lid and refrigerate.
- Makes about ⅓ cup.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains components that help to reduce fatigue and increase energy, including potassium and enzymes. The amino acid content also helps to prevent the buildup of lactic acid in the body, which is a known source for tiredness.
Apple cider vinegar may play a role in liver detoxification and circulation. The healing properties seem to improve skin health and support the elimination of toxins throughout the body.
If you want to receive the detoxification benefits without taking it internally, you can put apple cider vinegar in your bath water! Add 1 cup ACV to your bath along with ⅓-1 cup of epsom salts and 5-10 drops essential oils. Adding sea salt, ginger and baking soda are also great options for further detoxification and relaxation.
ACV has antibiotic properties and pectin, which are soothing to the stomach. For a stomach soothing cocktail, combine: 2 tsp ACV, 1 tbsp fresh ginger water, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 8 ounces sparkling water and raw honey to taste. Take a swig in a glass of water when you start feeling unsettled or bloated.
A stuffy nose that won’t clear is the worst. Try sipping a cup of water mixed with ACV – it will act as an antibacterial in your throat and may help decrease and break-up the mucus.
If you’ve become the unfortunate enemy of a jellyfish or even poison ivy, some ACV should do the trick to get rid of the itchiness. Simply apply directly to skin and let it work its magic.
To help battle painful gout symptoms, take 2-3 tablespoons, 2-3 times every day.
What Is The Difference Between Raw And Regular?
When you walk into a major grocery store (or just your corner market), you will most likely face a variety of choices when it comes to apple cider vinegar. It’s awesome to have options… but to know WHICH ACV to choose is super important and determines whether you are buying a health benefiting product OR one that is full of crap.
Here is what to look for when buying apple cider vinegar – it starts with checking the LABEL:
|RAW Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother||Regular Apple Cider Vinegar|
Other tips for choosing the BEST apple cider vinegar:
- Avoid plastic bottles – choose glass instead.
- Choose ORGANIC – look for the “certified organic labels” to avoid health damaging GMOs.
- The most commonly available quality apple cider vinegar is Bragg’s – it’s what the whole Fitlife team uses (I do too!).
Apple cider vinegar is one of my favorite natural remedies because it is so inexpensive and can be used for a variety of tasks. Keep this stuff in your kitchen all year long and it won’t disappoint!
P.S. Take a look at this 1 drink that boosts female metabolism and burns off lower belly fat.